Embattled Sharks coach Tony D'Amato (Pacino) faces a full-on blitz of team strife plus a new, marketing-savvy owner (Diaz) who's convinced the aging Tony is out of his league. An injured quarterback (Quaid), a flashy, bull-headed backup QB (Foxx), a slithery team doctor (Woods) and a running back with an incentive-laden contract (LL Cool J) provide some of the stories that zigzag like diagrams in a playbook.
15 years after it's theatrical debut Any Given Sunday is more relevant than ever given all the controversy surrounding the NFL currently. Director Oliver Stone is at the top of his game and has become one of his best films after multiple viewings. The cast is packed with fun cameos, a breakout performance by Jamie Foxx and Al Pacino as the Sharks coach chews the scenery. The game sequences are brutal and thrilling. Pick this one up and run home fast as you can without fumbling. 9/10
Any Given Sunday arrives on Blu-ray with a 1080p transfer in the aspect ratio of 2.39:1 - Colors are varied and exhibit perfect saturation. Some of the more bright an bold hues pop. Black levels are deep and shadow delineation was solid. Fine detail was good in closeups but I did notice a few soft shots during the 2hr 37 minute running time. 8.5/10
Audio is provided by a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. - Dialogue is placed front and center remaining crystal clear throughout the film, their are some problems though during game scenes and some of the lines are drowned out. LFE performance features crushing blows on the field and thumping bass to the music cues. Surround activity is used most effectively during game time. Crowd din and panning effects bring you into the action. 8/10
* Audio Commentary with Oliver Stone
* Audio Commentary with Jamie Foxx
* Anything Can Happen (HD, 30min) - The only new special feature on the disc, this retrospective features NFL stars Marshall Faulk and Willie McGinest, 49ers coach Steve Mariucci and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Director Oliver Stone also gives insight on the modern NFL, a look back at the film how it resonates with players today.
* Full Contact: The Making of Any Given Sunday (SD, 27min) - A standard making of doc with talking head interviews. This originally aired on HBO when the film debuted.
* Deleted and Extended Scenes (SD, 33min)
* Music Videos (SD, 7min)
- LL Cool J's Shut Em Down
- Jamie Foxx's "My Name is Willie" and "Any Given Sunday".
* Audition and Screen Tests (SD, 7min)
* Gag Reel (SD, 4min)
* Football and Landscape Outtakes (SD, 12min)
* Instant Replay (HD, 15min)
* Production Stills
* Theatrical Trailer