August 4, 2015

Innerspace Blu-ray Review






**SYNOPSIS**



The voice Jack (Martin Short) hears is that of hotshot Navy pilot Tuck Pendleton (Dennis Quaid), subject of a secret miniaturization project gone awry and accidentally injected into Jack. And before frazzled Jack can say, "I`ve got you under my skin", his unlikely partner propels him into the craziest escapade of his life.





**MOVIE REVIEW**



I have fond memories of watching Innerspace as a kid in the late 80's on VHS. I probably racked up at least 50 viewings of the film and then I moved onto other movies that grabbed my attention. Then in 2002 I purchased the DVD and it was the first time watching it in widescreen and it was a fun ride. Unfortunately I lost touch with the film again and doubt if I watched that DVD since then. Warner has now released Innerspace on Blu-ray and I forgot almost all of the great comic beats and it was like reconnecting with an old friend.

Martin Short gives a brilliant comedic performance as Jack and his mannerisms are gold. Dennis Quaid is great as the cocksure but quirky Tuck who ends up inside Jack's body. A young and beautiful Meg Ryan adds romantic interest and holds her own with the boys. The effects hold up surprisingly well.

Joe Dante did a fine job directing the film. Innerspace is one of those films that you just don't see anymore without it being a huge , boring blockbuster. I will make sure to revisit this 80's favorite more often. 9/10


**VIDEO QUALITY**



Innerspace arrives on Blu-ray with a 1080p transfer in the aspect ratio of 1.78:1 - Warner impresses with a high quality new master that will make the DVD copy you may have a nice coaster. Colors have some nice pop to them saturation remained balanced and natural looking. Black levels were very deep and shadow delineation was good, though a few scenes are a little too dark to my eyes but thankfully there is no crush to speak of. Overall fine detail was excellent. Natural film grain remains intact. 9/10


**AUDIO QUALITY**



Audio is provided by a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. - Dialogue was consistently crisp and clean. Surrounds use atmospheric and directional effects to bring you into the adventure of Tuck journeying through Jack's Body. While there are no demo worthy scenes when it comes to LFE performance what is there does add depth to the action. Jerry Goldsmith's terrific score is perfectly balanced in the mix. No signs of popping or crackling. 8/10


**SPECIAL FEATURES**



* Audio Commentary

* Theatrical Trailer (1:30)